Thoughts from Göteborg

Greetings from Nordic Gothenburg. I'm spending this week here - and there is still a lot to discover about this city! I have found this picture in Google, and for me it's quite interesting as it gives a glimpse of the office I work from to the left of the bridge.


Image by Google

The weather was just wonderful when I arrived on Saturday, I even managed to catch some sun, but then Sunday was unbearable - it was raining really hard for the whole day plus the wind was too strong... it was impossible to survive such a combination outside!

So I have been having some time alone trying to adjust myself to the Scandinavian rhythm/lifestyle/atmosphere. Gdańsk seems to be not too far away from here, but the difference is of course huge. It is very interesting to observe the Swedes and their tranquil but creative way of arranging their lives, decorating their homes with lights and things, following the traditions and gradually getting ready for Christmas...

I spent one year in Sweden back when I was a student and I quite often come back to that time in my memories. A year in a country so well organized with people so tolerant and open was a great experience - and I did learn a lot. One of my friends who spent 5 years here said that life in Scandinavia is good, relaxing and... black and white (by which he meant 'boring'). Many Swedes admit to that and I agree to some point. Still I think the Swedish people are good in engaging themselves in various activities - and some are far from being bored :)

So far I can say that the Swedish are more forthright in speaking about their achievements, are more spontaneous in their decision-making, offer personal opinions and express disagreement more readily and of course have a greater tolerance for individual style differences, and a more flexible definition of protocol - all quite positive observations. I just wish it would be easier to socialize with them! But I think I myself can be quite a recluse at times...

God natt...

5 comments:

Irene said...

Thanks for stopping by Olga. It looks like you are having quite an adventure. What kind of a job do you have that takes you to such wonderful places.

JuanitaTortilla said...

How long will you be there in lovely Göteborg, Olga?
You have triggered my memory of days spent there as an exchange student. I will have to blog about it, one day :)
The weather is awful here as well.

Michela said...

Hi Olga! How lucky to travel to such beautiful places for work!

Διάττων said...

First, i agree with Michela. Second, i have some memories from this town eventhough i never got there. Actually, there were a case for me in the past to move there and i was collecting photos from the net all the time in order to know the place...

ELIANA-Coisas Boas da Vida said...

Thank you very much...
I'd like so much when you visit my blog!

This pepper is really very funny!

Your blog is very very interesting and beautifull!

Kisses

Eliana