Danish Design


Image by Olga

I've been planning to share my impressions after visiting Danish Museum of Art & Design for some time now.. I was able to go there when I went to Copenhagen for a quick 1 day visit during my week's stay in Gothenburg in late November. I love Scandinavian design - very simple yet brilliant, ecological and very functional, so the museum kept me amazed for entire time I spent inside and I found the experience very educational. This is a place definitely worth visiting if you are interested in art & design.


Image by Olga


Image by Olga

The most interesting for me was the exhibition of classic Danish design and furniture from the permanent collection. I have learned that many things I considered 'classics' were designed by the Danes and surprisingly a long time ago. For example the very well known Egg chair by Arne Jacobsen was actually created in 1958(!) for Radison SAS hotel in Copenhagen. And it still looks super modern! And so does his Swan chair .


Image by Olga


Image by Olga

This is how the hotel interiors with these chairs looked like back in 1958.


Image by Olga

Some more chairs I found interesting...


Image by Olga


Image by Olga


Image by Olga


Image by Olga

The museum is full of many more interesting and whimsical objects - various unusual lamp designs and a huge collection of posters ranging from the times of Toulouse-Lautrec till present. I'm going to devote another post for it soon - it's definitely worth it!


Image by Olga


Image by Olga

I was totally surprised to find my old phone there in the museum! And then I thought maybe I don't have to worry that much about my bad habit of choosing things based on their design rather than functionality... :P Do you also do that sometimes?..


Image by Olga

2 comments:

JuanitaTortilla said...

Interesting how "old" things look relevant and modern for today's world.

Choosing design over functionality? Hmm... That must happen with books, i.e. picking a book with more captivating images than the usefulness of content within...
Otherwise, I tend to be more on the "functionality" side.

Διάττων said...

Finally, it must be said! Going round the world, you are rich of everything dear Olga! Full of pics and views, act and experiences! You know too many things...